Tuesday 9 January 2018

How do I pronounce this?

Yep, you guessed it - I'm travelling again!

Yes, I brought my trumpet.


Bit of a different vibe on this trip, and to be honest it's exactly what I needed. The daunting prospect of a new year and worrying where someone hid my 4 years of degree has been sufficiently counteracted with some productivity doing a postgraduate audition and time enjoying some really fresh air. As in, feels like -4 degrees celsius plus a sea breeze level of fresh. But my, I've not felt so at ease for quite some time, even with the purpose of my trip being for an audition, and not even whilst in my homeland of Yorkshire. How bizarre. Well not really, when you look at how gracious God is. Only he could provide such peace and serenity in such a beautiful creation.

Look at that sky!
I love just walking around a new place, seeing the sights, trying to figure out the language and how the transport system works. Århus is small enough to do that without getting lost, which is just as well because I couldn't find a paper tourist map anywhere. In addition, there's something special about having time alone/with God in a place and not having to be anywhere in a hurry - the complete opposite to life in London. Being able to appreciate the Lord's creation with few distractions is really freeing, and often goes unencountered by many - why? Why do we (myself included) so often feel something is not worth doing unless it is documented? I was convicted to simply enjoy some moments for myself and the amusement of any strangers who may be watching.

In addition, it's been my third experience of Airbnb and I would really recommend it to anyone who likes a homely (and cheaper) stay. It's such a great way to really see how the locals live. It's also been part of the whole peaceful feel to this trip. The neighbourhood in Åbyhøj (good luck pronouncing that, I still can't) is so quiet and has an almost village-like style to it. Excuse the book-like description but seeing it frosted over with the orange sun rising over the hills is literally like something from a postcard (not that I've been able to find any postcards here either). "Quaint" would probably be a suitable description from us Brits.



Music Academy
Musically speaking, I've had the opportunity to meet Kristian Steenstrup - "regarded one of the finest music pedagogues of his generation" and was accompanied by David Strong - a fellow Yorkshireman! Every performance is a learning curve; not only in my abilities but my humility as well - something else that is remarkable in the way God is shaping me as I grow closer to him.

I'm sad to have to fly home tomorrow, but so grateful for this lovely experience and time away. Until next time, enjoy these "documentations" of some aspects of my trip!


S x
Musikhuset

Aarhus Cathedral



Dokk 1 - Library on the harbour which parks your car for you
 (not kidding)


Had time for some skating and thought the set-up was cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment